Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Why co-located team rooms are important

One of the most valuable aspects of co-locating a team in a common area is that it eliminates a lot of the "us vs them" mentality that tends to happen when team members are working in different locations. I have observed that it is a fairly natural occurrence in teams that are distributed to be less collaborative and helpful to each other if they are separated by distance.

For example, here's an interesting email conversation trail from a previous project between two distributed teams (in the same building but different floors and opposite ends of the building):


Email 1 from Debugging Developer:

Hi Developer B,

I was wondering if processing transaction A is supposed to work for ActionTest. I’m using the following data with an error of “failed to execute called process”, can you advise, thanks.


Data used:

Some complex XML message      
     
Response email from Developer A:

You sent a transaction per below.  The changes were not deployed on the tActionTest.  I will have to rebuild that deployable.  (It was deployed for the end-to-end process, not the test webservice.)

I can't find your request in the logs to check the error.

Thanks,

Developer A


Email 2 from Debugging Developer:

Ok so I guess it shouldn’t work until its been rebuilt right?

Response email  from Developer A:

Yes, I forgot about deploying the test service because I was focusing on the integration model. 


Developer X just deployed the most recent ProcessingComponent changes on the test service, and this included my code updates, so the service should work now. 


ProcessTransactionService fails this sample request as per below:


  

  < Failed OrderDetail(s) : 9084694735  ErrServiceQueryFail
   updateSubscriber_ERROR-1553

and more complex XML/>


Thanks,
Developer A


Email 3 from Debugging Developer:

Great, yeah I see that error now, middleware integration admin logs for ActionTest still times out. I’m not sure why the error occurs, is there any way that I can dig deeper? 

Response email from Developer A:

Look at the ProcessTransactionService.

Email 4 from Debugging Developer:

Any idea what “Failed Tranasaction(s) : 1234567 (error=-65608)” means? I understand that transactions with FDR of 232 and IBC of 456 must be used, so I specified the following request:

Some complex XML...
Response email from Developer A:

Did you intend to address this to me?  I don't know this.  AquaLogicBus is calling the ProcessTransactionService (java).  This error is returned from the ProcessTransactionService.


Thanks,
Developer A


Email 5 from Debugging Developer:

Yeah, I just thought you might know, Developer B might have a better idea.

Developer B, I’m sending the request below to AquaLogicBus and get the error: “Failed Tranasaction(s) : 1234567 (error=-65608)”, tn I used is:  ,
What rules are there for Transaction A?

Thanks.

Response email from Developer B:

But the error is self descriptive...the transaction is not unqiue i.e. processed...you cannot process the transaction twice/more in ProcessTransactionService.

Email 6 from Debugging Developer:

I have yet to trained myself to understand (error=-65608)
I’ll try more numbers even though numbers such as 1234567 and more also do not work for Transaction A, these numbers have not been processed since they were verified by GetStatus of the ProcessTransactionService returning ErrGetStatus.

After a bit more back and forth, finally the Debugging Developer discovered the root cause of the problem. In total, this took 6 hours and ~10 emails. Think this is a good example of the communication effectiveness Alistair Cockburn talks about:



No comments:

Post a Comment